Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Really Cool Dessert

My brother Mike and I are both struggling with some health issues and trying to really cut back the amount of sodium in our diets. Easier said that done, but, as it's becoming a habit I think it is getting easier.

He told me about this recipe he's fixed up - great for those of us who have a sweet tooth too.

He takes a can of pineapple (in it's own juice) and chills in the fridge. Cut up a banana into the pineapple and toss in a handful of unsalted roasted peanuts. It's delicious!! I added whipped cream to the top of mine! Very little sodium and very very tasty!

Since we are both on huge doses of diuretics, loss of potassium can become a problem and cause leg cramps. Right now, I eat one banana and one orange each day. Besides adding natural potassium, they serve as a healthy low calorie snack and satisfy my sweet tooth. Some other high potassium foods are lima beans and sweet potatoes. Haddock is an excellent source of potassium.

All of the dark green leafy veggies are - BUT - if you're on anticoagulant therapy as I am, you have to be careful. You can have them, BUT, try to keep the frequency the same. I eat broccoli a couple of times a week, but if I were to eat it four or five times, I'd need to tell the coumadin lab since it would throw off my INR.

No comments:

Post a Comment